CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program designed to make the most well-rounded and capable athlete possible and delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. CrossFit is not a specialized fitness program but a deliberate attempt to optimize physical competence in each of the ten recognized fitness domains.
The ten general physical skills are defined as follows.
- Endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen (cardiovascular/respiratory endurance).
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy. (capacity to maintain repetitive muscular movements)
- Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility – the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a single distinct movement.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
The CrossFit Program was developed to enhance an individual’s competency at all physical tasks. Our training prepares you to perform successfully at multiple, diverse, and varied physical challenges. It includes varying combinations of weightlifting (olympic lifting), powerlifting, gymnastics, running, rowing, kettle bell training, and plyometrics. The loads, rep schemes, and duration of workouts are also constantly varied. It is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.
Courtesy of crossfit.com.